With a baby, the days whip by. The weeks are short and the months disappear.
If I can complete one thing off my to-do list each day, just one thing, it’s a productive day.
And when it’s a house-related thing? Then it’s an awesome day.
I’m determined to continue making progress on our house, no matter how slow the progress may be.
With that, here are our 2012 goals for our house:
1. Make each room functional. We have a total of nine rooms in the house, not counting closets and bathrooms. I would like for every room to be functional and useful by the end of the year. Our laundry room needs cabinets and storage solutions. Our office bookshelves could hold so much, if only we finish it. It’s also a bit hard to work in the office without an office chair, so I’ll need to reupholster the chair. The garage is just one big space where messes happen, so we need to install cabinets, shelves, and a ceiling storage solution.
2. Paint the last spaces in the house. We’re so close to being done with painting! Our master bathroom is still waiting for its dark purple paint job (we already have the paint ready) and then it’s on to our master closet, the pantry, the shelves in the laundry room, and the closet in the guest bedroom. Oh, and the garage. Then we’re 100% done! Until I decide to change the color of a previously painted room. Ahem, let’s not go there right now.
3. Stop buying pieces that need a makeover until we’ve completed all of our projects. Let’s see – we have that bench in our bedroom, the nightstands in the guest bedroom, the bar cabinet for the dining room, frames to be spray-painted, and a couple of lamps waiting to be painted. No more stuff from thrift shops or Craig’s List until we finish them all. But what if we find the perfect side table that we need for our living room for only 5 bucks? Well, unless we find a mega-deal that we can’t just pass up, I’d like to focus on what we already have.
4. Work on our art gallery walls. We’re currently collecting pieces and frames for our game room art gallery and I’ve already spray-painted a couple of frames white for our bedroom. We also need to start buying black frames for our stairway. We’ve been talking about these three art gallery walls for a while – this is the year to start actually putting some holes in the walls.
5. Add more COLOR. Our living room is gray and yellow, our dining room is gray and yellow, our bedroom is gray and white, our office is gray and teal… you get the picture. We’ve been collecting a lot of gray and simply colored pieces and the rooms are coming together nicely, but now we need lots of more color, in varying shades, to pump each room up. We’ll be doing that with accessories, pillows, window treatments, and some painted furniture here and there.
I feel really motivated after writing out this list! I think it’s manageable… and actually possible!
But it would be a lot easier if Janella started taking 2-hour naps again. What happened to your 2-hour naps, J?
Filed under: Inspiration & Ideas |